Wednesday 13 May 2009

Lucie Summersville - printed fabric


'i'm a small town girl who likes to print on fabric and paper. i'm married to my childhood sweetheart and we've got two fabulous little boys. life is sweet.'





How is that for a biog!!! But I think Lucie could also add she's creating something that alot of people appreciate and admire. That's amazing!! I certainly know I do.



I'm scheming at the moment that I want to make sewing kits that are really something to cherish with little vintage items, pins, needlecases, threads, darning wool etc and all beautifully set off in a roomy case made with Lucie's fabric. Very funky.

I found Lucie's designs through Etsy and she's the featured seller at the moment so others have spotted her as well. I really urge you to read her interview on the front page of Etsy. The fabrics conjure up many images for me. Childhood book illustrations. The great designs of Lucienne Day from the 40's and 50's (some of my favourite design periods). The simplicity and clarity of Scandanavian design. Is that enough to be going on with?




I love the categories in her Etsy shop, attach, carry, display, sew. So simple yet so effective.

I ordered my fabrics and squeeked with delight when I opened them. Tied with ribbon, a little written tag and gift button with Lucie's signature fabric. It's Christmas already!


I'm still pondering on how to design my kits. I want to really use my fabric wisely and then hurry to buy some more!!

Lucie is, of course, a multi-tasker like alot of us and also writes a lovely colourful blog, blu-shed so you can check in there for a bit of summer sunshine on a blustery day.

1 comment:

lu summers said...

god bee, this is so weird - i'm a massive admirer of the designers of the 50's (lucienne day being a fav) and at the same time i'm really influenced by simple scandi designs too. and here i thought i didn't have a particualar style and you summed me totally up in one go. what a lovely, lovely blog post, thankyou so much! xxx